Thursday, November 8, 2012

Psy to release global debut album in March


Humble as ever, Psy downplayed his role in drawing massive global attention to his song “Gangnam Style” while in Paris earlier this week, and said the real challenge will be the next album.

“I can’t say I accomplished success, because it’s kind of a phenomenon. I didn’t do much -- people just browsed YouTube, found this music video and shared it,” he said during a press conference in the French capital on Tuesday (local time) after performing his signature horse-riding dance at the Trocadéro in front of the Eiffel Tower.

“Now it’s my time to truly show myself as a singer,” he added, while announcing his plan to release a new album around March – with half of the songs in English and half in Korean.

Calling it his “global debut album,” Psy said it will comprise songs from his previous Korean albums along with some new additions.

The press conference was attended by reporters from major press outlets in France. Psy shared a number of stories including how he became a singer in the first place.

“In the music video for ‘Gangnam Style,’ I tried to be as funny as possible, but I want to show other sides of myself later on if I have a chance,” he added.

Asked how he feels about other K-pop singers, he said, “Many K-pop stars have tried to break through in the U.S. and Europe. As my success was made possible not just by me but by those who listened and liked my song, I believe other Korean singers can enjoy the same luck. Until now, K-pop stars have been mostly skinny, but fans around the world can now see that's not always the case.”

Psy flew to the U.K. on Wednesday to give a talk at Oxford University.

Meanwhile, Maroon 5’s “One More Night” kept its grip on the top of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. “Gangnam Style” remains at No. 2. for the seventh straight week.


Source: Chosun Ilbo