Friday, October 5, 2012

What is BTOB's strength?


Riding the hot retro wave, how different is their retro in BTOB’s ‘WOW’ while comparing with others?

“We used music and many fashionable items from the 90s. The fashion, as you can see, are jumper suits that are worn down to our waist. The music, too, takes a 90s New Jack Swing style, which induces listeners with its familiar rhythm. The point of our music and styling, is that they are both a mix of the 90s era with a twist of modern elements in it, which produces a song that only belongs to us.”



◆ “‘WOW’ as the name of our title track, thanks to Jung IlHoon”

As one listens to BTOB’s WOW, the rhythm that hits the ears, and its eccentric lyrics are their charms. We are curious as to how they save the song’s elements and endings while having on an impact by this song which has a single-word title “WOW”

“It’s a story from the start. During recordings, the staffs ordered me, ‘Just go with your heart. When singing the ad libs, just sing it freely’, and so I expressed it with “W~ow”. Later after the recordings ended, and when we listened to it, it seems to blend well with the music. I’ve listened to the complete song, and I, too, had doubts like, ‘Is this my doing?’ ” (IlHoon)

“The fact was that we were at a situation where we couldn’t decide on a song title and IlHoonie’s ‘WOW’ part seems to save the song while giving an impact to it. Because of him, the title ‘WOW’ was chosen” (Eunkwang)



◆ First skinship act with an actress, “Around 43 NGs?”

Legs touching and intense necktie pulling skinship, caressing faces, and back hugs, these were a few skinships that can be found in ‘WOW’ MV. Although it’s hard for a group of boys of an average age of 20.8 to present it well, was this ‘maknae’s rebellion’? A surprising answer from the maknae.

“As long as I live, this is the first time I was back hugged. I had to take (a back hug scene) together with a model who was older than me. But, it felt good~” (SungJae)

“I had an acting scene where I have to pick up a rose and give it to her, but my hands were trembling non-stop. It was embarrassing and humiliating, I was just hoping to get over it quickly. Since the same act must be taken repeatedly from different angles, whenever I’m doing so, my hands just shook throughout. Even after the scene was shot, my hands were still trembling.” (Changsub)

We couldn’t guess how much these shy boys tremble towards such mature love story. There were certainly lots of NGs, but Hyunshik received an OK sign in just one cue. Nevertheless, Eunkwang who did a relatively higher level of acting than the members, was crowned NG King of the day.

“My part was where the actress touched my legs and then pull my necktie towards her face. It’s my first in cooperating with an actress, and I was so nervous, I had around 43 NGs? (Laughs) I felt sorry for her” (Eunkwang)



◆ Fate of a celebrity, Successful diet, “Seeing a sleeker jaw line”

Within 3~4 months, the members have come back with a slimmer body, their upgraded visual has attracted attention with one look. BTOB’s stylist explained, “Compared to ‘Insane’ promotions, their outfit has dropped by a size, that’s how slim they’ve gotten.”

“During ‘Insane’ promotions, I weighed 63kg, I’ve reduced 6kg to 58kg now. I dieted and even grew an obvious jaw line” (IlHoon)

“After our first album promotion ended, I dislike the chubby me appearing on screens, so I exercised diligently. I have lesser fats and a slimmer figure now but as my muscles grow, I had put on weight instead. Although my weight have increased, I had a slimmer body and this diet is considered successful, isn’t it?” (Changsub)

Meanwhile, Peniel have gained attention for being the member that differs the most on stage and off stage.

“I wear lens on stage, but in the dorm, I wear spectacles (looks like Harry Porter) and during the night, I wear braces.” (Peniel)

As Peniel ended his speech, Hyunshik revealed, “(Peniel) Loves his training outfit, and he would always  wear only his training outfit.” Maknae Sungjae continued, “He put on headbands too. We shall show a proof shot later on!”. Peniel immediately retaliated, “I don’t use headbands nowadays. My skin is getting a little better”, and the member were heard saying, “did he grow some confidence?”

◆ Goals on Rookie Award, Despite debuting for 5 months, already a ‘senior’

BTOB who have just debuted for 5 months, have already been called as a ‘sunbaenim’. During music programs, due to many rookie groups, BTOB was the 16th artist (almost towards the ending) to perform. With these overflowing of new groups, in order to be a singer that is not forgotten but a communicative group, BTOB’s secret weapon is ‘personality’ that shines through their talents.

“All of our 7 members have distinctive personality. With that, we can pull out a large variety of music styles, and focused to be a different yet progressive group tomorrow. Shouldn’t we be showing a new look of ourselves to the public with our very own charms?”


Trans: MrsDooB2uty @ Loveindacube.wordpress.com
Source: The Star Chosun