Friday, July 6, 2012

[INTERVIEW] Movies Recommended by Kyuhyun!


Movies that will have you absorbed recommended by Kyuhyun   

It was unexpected.  An idol who’s in charge of the vocal of the team and not in charge of appearing in variety shows, someone whose specialty is singing ballads became an MC on MBC’s Golden Fishery which is called the jungle of variety shows.  Although he replaced his member Heechul, no one knew that Super Junior’s maknae Kyuhyun would be sitting in the same table as Kim Gura.  People didn’t know about this either—that Kyuhyun would unexpectedly put down his roots at Radio Star—Kyuhyun with the face of a rich boy and his innocent facial expression making biting remarks and pointing to a miniature figurine of Kim Gura who left the show while asking spiteful questions.  


“Radio Star is taped on Wednesdays, so when Tuesday would come around, I couldn’t go to sleep.  It was a program that I really wanted to do, so I felt excited and nervous at the same time.  When I would be done with the taping, I would only think of Radio Star until the next taping.  Because the program had loyal viewers, it was more burdensome for Kyuhyun.  However, he watched all episodes of Radio Star starting from the first episode, analyzed its characteristics, and studied talking which enabled him to get into the conversation and talk more.  Before a taping, he would visit each guest’s waiting room and would say hello.  He formed an alliance with Yoo Sae Yoon who also joined the program as an MC midway like him.  He would work hard even making over the top jokes sometimes.  All this effort comes from Kyuhyun’s desire to maintain Radio Star’s unique color.  

However, as a member who joined Super Junior last, he is a singer who dances when he’s with his group but when he’ standing on stage alone, he is a singer who can sing a sad ballad like “Etude of Memories“ or “7 Years of Love” with rich voice.  Also, in the musical , he is D'artagnanand and on Radio Star, he is the maknae who is gradually solidifying his position.  Kyuhyun still puts independence first before desire.  So Kyuhyun who believes that if he works hard at what he is given, other opportunities will come, recommended movies that absorbed him when he was watching them.   

Kyuhyun’s first recommendation: Titanic
Kyuhyun: When I heard that the movie was re-released in 3D recently, I really wanted to watch it again.  So I went to the movie theater at night.  Since the movie was not originally made as a 3D movie, my eyes hurt, but it was still good re-watching it.  After the movie ended, “My heart will go” played and the people in the theater would not leave.  I thought, “why aren’t they leaving” and then I realized how touching it was and it made me feel Goosebumps.  I think, like me, the other people had lingering emotions that they just couldn’t leave the theater. 

Kyuhyun’s second recommendation: The Big Swindle
Kyuhyun: it’s a movie that I really like.  I watched it over 20 times already that I think I can memorize the lines.  The storyline was fun and all the characters are appealing.  But Park Shin Yang’s acting is especially amazing.  He’s good at playing smart and cool characters, but watching him master that lowlife swindler character in the movie made me respect him.  

Kyuhyun’s third recommendation: The Legend of Ip Man
Kyuhyun: out of the all the movies that Donnie Yen appeared in, my favorite movie of his is The Legend of Ip Man.  It’s a movie that depicts dynamic feeling from Chinese action movies well.  Live action and the depiction of the life of a real life character, martial arts master Ip Man and the historical background work to convey satisfying feeling and are also moving.  I especially think that Donnie Yen’s facial expression is cool which looks like he’s always maintaining his composure.  I think a real master does not look scattered even when he’s fighting.       

Kyuhyun’s fourth recommendation: The Scent of Love
Kyuhyun: I liked Jang Jin Young who plays the lead female in the movie, so I felt excited when I was watching it.  Park Hae Il played a man who loves so unconditionally.  It could be a little unrealistic, but it’s a romantic movie that makes people recall their first love.  I still watch it sometimes and think how beautiful it is.  So it makes me feel sad.  

Kyuhyun’s fifth recommendation: The Greatest Game Ever Played
Kyuhyun: I like movies that are based on true stories.  The Greatest Game Ever Played is a story about an amateur golfer who after some mishaps competes in a big tournament and wins.  The story is similar to mine, so I resonated with it.  My father operates an academy, so when I first told him that I wanted to become a singer, he said, “if you are not going to study and fail to go to college because you want to be a singer, people are going to tell me to teach my son first.”  He really scolded me a lot and opposed to me becoming a singer.  But now, he comes to watch all my musical shows and concerts overseas.  In the movie, there is a scene where the main character’s father who disapproves of his son becoming a golfer cheers among the crowd when his son wins at the end.  When I was watching that scene, it reminded me of the past that I cried without realizing it.  



Kyuhyun who has come to know the taste of growth through hard work
Since he debuted at the age 19 to now at 25 years old, despite his age and his position in the team as the maknae, he’s cool and mature.  He also looks wise beyond his years on Radio Star.  The moment Kyuhyun shows his happiness the most is when he gets a confirmation that he matured as much as he put hard work into it.  “The malicious comments that I would get when I would try in a new field have turned into comments that I’m okay.  I feel ecstatic about that.  When I monitor my performance and fix things that are wrong, people recognize that.  I’m nothing compared to the sunbaenims, but I feel so happy when I get a response that I’m doing well.”  I did not realize that there was this side to Radio Star’s young malicious commentator.  


Source: Naver
Translated by Minnie @ SUJUISM.BLOGSPOT.COM